A kefta is a garment that is worn by Grisha in the Ravkan Second Army. The color of a Grisha's kefta is determined by their Grisha order and the color of the embroidery on the cuffs and hems signifies the wearer’s type within the order.
It is currently unknown whether the design of the kefta or the clothing worn underneath has changed under the leadership of the Grisha Triumvirate.
Kefta are described as long, nearly-floor-length robes that are said to somewhat resemble coats. The garment consists of several panels of fabric and is secured with hidden buttons on the wearer’s front. The kefta is embroidered at its cuffs and hem and has animal fur at its collar.
Due to the Grisha’s desire to emulate ordinary citizens under the Darkling’s leadership, a kefta is worn over a set of peasant-like attire: a long white shirt, tied with a sash, and breeches.
Kefta are made with various materials.
- Silk kefta are worn by Grisha in the Little Palace in summer.
- Wool kefta are worn in winter.
- Kefta worn in combat are made with Corecloth by Materialki to withstand bullets.
Typically, black leather boots are worn by Grisha in the winter and during combat, and silk slippers are worn with the silk kefta in summer.
Because kefta are worn by Ravkan Grisha in many settings, including combat, formal gatherings, and day-to-day life, the garment is a prominent characteristic used to identify Grisha in many countries. As a result, some Grisha in nations like Kerch will wear kefta, largely for ornamental purposes and usually of much poorer quality than those made in the Little Palace, to indicate their powers.
- Black, with black cuffs – Only the Darkling is permitted to wear this color; despite this, Alina Starkov wears a black kefta at the Winter Fete in Shadow and Bone.
- Gold – Alina Starkov wore this color while putting on the façade of a Sun Saint.
- Dark blue – Etherealki
- Red – Corporalki
- Purple – Materialki
- White, with gold cuffs – White and gold are for servants in the Grand Palace; Grisha working as servants, most notably Genya Safin during her time as the Queen’s Tailor who wore a white and gold kefta.
Corporalki (red kefta)
- Black – Heartrenders
- Gray – Healers
- Dark blue – Tailors; Tailoring is a skill that can be developed in all Corporalki, but only Genya Safin and her regiment of Tailors wear this color combination.
Etherealki (blue kefta)
- Pale blue – Tidemakers
- Red – Inferni
- Silver – Squallers
- Gold – Sun Summoner, specifically Alina Starkov; it is unknown whether the new Sun Summoners created after the Ravkan Civil War also wear this color combination.
Materialki (purple kefta)
- King of Scars, chapter 6.