Novyi Zem is known for its dark-skinned people, its frontiers, bustling coastal cities, extensive farmland where jurda is cultivated, and sophisticated firearms. It is also known for being a refuge for people, both otkazat'sya and zowa where they can begin a new life in anonymity.
Novyi Zem is a young country compared to other nations. The expanse of the True Sea keeps Novyi Zem separated from global conflict, allowing the nation to prosper.
- Eames Chin - expanse of arable land.
- Shriftport - the main port city of Novyi Zem, known for its extensive jurda fields.
- Weddle - a city in northeastern Novyi Zem.
- Cofton - the town where Alina Starkov and Malyen Oretsev hide from the Darkling. It is also a major grower of jurda.
- Main article: Zemeni language
Novyi Zem has ministers, but its exact structure of government is unknown.
Novyi Zem has a navy. Its naval flag features orange stars.
- The Zemeni do not use the word "Grisha". Individuals with Grisha power are known as zowa, meaning "blessed", and that power is considered a gift. There are teachers who train zowa in the west of Novyi Zem.
- The Zemeni have a tradition of choosing family names. This began with the Maradi family, who named themselves after Sankta Maradi, who saved them at sea. Leoni followed this tradition by adopting the surname of Aditi Hilli, the zowa woman who died to save her when Leoni was a child.
- Novyi Zem was originally inspired by the American colonies and Australia, with other influences.
- Novyi Zem is likely named after Novaya Zemlya, a real-world Russian archipelago in the North Sea above Eurasia. The name means "New Land".