Shadow and Bone is a Netflix adaptation of the Shadow and Bone Trilogy and Six of Crows Duology by Leigh Bardugo. The series, announced on January 10, 2019, was created, written, and executive produced by showrunner Eric Heisserer, and executive produced by Leigh Bardugo, Shawn Levy, Pouya Shahbazian, Dan Levine, Dan Cohen, and Josh Barry for 21 Laps Entertainment. Season 1 was released on April 23, 2021.
In a world cleaved in two by a massive barrier of perpetual darkness, where unnatural creatures feast on human flesh, a young soldier uncovers a power that might finally unite her country. But as she struggles to hone her power, dangerous forces plot against her. Thugs, thieves, assassins and saints are at war now, and it will take more than magic to survive.
- Jessie Mei Li as Alina Starkov
- Ben Barnes as General Kirigan
- Archie Renaux as Malyen Oretsev
- Freddy Carter as Kaz Brekker
- Amita Suman as Inej Ghafa
- Kit Young as Jesper Fahey
- Danielle Galligan as Nina Zenik (season 2; recurring season 1)
- Calahan Skogman as Matthias Helvar (season 2; recurring season 1)
- Daisy Head as Genya Safin (season 2; recurring season 1)
- Lewis Tan as Tolya Yul-Bataar (season 2)
- Anna Leong Brophy as Tamar Kir-Bataar (season 2)
- Patrick Gibson as Nikolai Lantsov (season 2)
- Jack Wolfe as Wylan Hendriks (season 2)
- Leigh Bardugo has a cameo in one of the episodes. She originally wanted to have a dramatic death scene but instead, she is seen hugging Alina after her display of power before the royal family. On her Instagram story she shared that she will be wearing a purple Materialki kefta.
- February 28, 2020: The show officially wrapped production on the first season.
- October 2, 2019: Key cast members announced; cast and crew are filming in Budapest.
- January 11, 2019: In her newsletter to fans, Leigh Bardugo offered additional details about how the series will be adapted for television:
- Netflix has the rights to the Shadow and Bone trilogy, the Six of Crows duology, and The Language of Thorns.
- The producers do not plan on "just smashing together the timelines". It is not set in stone, but Bardugo stated that she has "been thinking of Season 1 as getting Book One of Shadow and Bone and Book Zero of Six of Crows."
- The show will focus on bringing "more diversity into play early in the Shadow and Bone narrative, meaning that "some of the characters aren't going to look the way they were described on the page—and that’s the way it should be."
- On June 7, 2021, after being watched by more than 55 million member households in its first 28 days, the series was renewed for an 8 episode second season.
|2021||People's Choice Awards||The Sci-Fi/Fantasy Show of 2021||Shadow and Bone||Nominated|||
- Netflix's official interactive website for Shadow and Bone: Beyond the Fold
- Official Facebook
- Official Twitter
- Official Instagram
- Shadow and Bone at the Internet Movie Database
- Shadow and Bone on Wikipedia
- Shadow and Bone (Music from the Netflix Series)
- Shadow and Bone: Destinies
- Shadow and Bone books and TV series comparison
- Netflix Orders ‘Shadow And Bone’ Series Based On Leigh Bardugo’s Grishaverse Novels From Eric Heisserer & Shawn Levy – January 10, 2019
- Shadow and Bone | Announcement Teaser | Netflix – December 17, 2020
- ‘Shadow & Bone’ Renewed For Season 2 As Netflix Reveals Viewership Data For Fantasy Drama – On June 7, 2021
- ‘Shadow And Bone’: ‘Westworld’s Ben Barnes & ‘Last Night In Soho’s Jessie Mei Li Among Cast For Netflix Series – October 2, 2019
- Netflix's "See What's Next" Twitter (Cast Photo) – October 2, 2019
- The full character breakdown. A reminder to my readers, the Darkling has had many names. - October 02, 2019
- ‘Shadow & Bone’: ‘Mortal Kombat’ Star Lewis Tan & ‘The OA’s Patrick Gibson Among Four Added To Season 2 Cast - January 13, 2022
- Shadow and Bone has officially wrapped production and a few friends would like to wish you a warm welcome to the Grishaverse...
- Josh Barry Twitter – October 2, 2019
- Leigh Bardugo Newsletter – January 11, 2019